People pointing, fingerpainting the world, leaving me the silhouette of my life. And I'm filling in the negative space with positively everything.
~ Edie Brickell

About Me

My Photo
I write fiction for young adults and am represented by Erin Murphy of Erin Murphy Literary Agency. My debut novel, STONE FIELD, is a re-imaging of Wuthering Heights set during the Civil War. STONE FIELD is slated for publication in Winter 2016 by Roaring Brook Press-Macmillan Publishers.

Environmental Art

Inspired by Andy Goldsworthy's nature art, we recently joined friends at an environmental art event in Berkeley's Thousand Oaks Park organized by Zach Pine, a talented local environmental artist. It was pure fun. Using stones, shells, flowers, bark, and other natural objects, we created spontaneous artistic expressions around the park. Footage of people and creations from the event were included in a short film (below) that was shown at the Berkeley Community Media’s Summer Shorts Movie Jam.






Around 0:59, Josh's friend, Max, talks abut artistic expression and later you can hear Alan speak as well. Look for glimpses of Josh, Noah, Alan and me and the final shot of my piece, "Free Speech"!

2 comments:

Butterfly Hill Farm, said...

Hi Christy ~
Wasn't sure how to comment on a current comment on our blog from you.....hope this works :)
In our experience the cane is just a few inches by mid-June.....this year, due to the weather, we weren't able to plant until the 6th. Not sure where your fiction takes place. Sorghum is actually a perennial plant if it isn't killed by frost, so that may help you out. The folks who would know the most are from the Sorghum Growers Association. Here's their site....

http://nssppa.org/

They may have more accurate info for you.

Good luck!

Oh.....an idea for you....when the sorghum has begun to send up their seed heads and is dropping their pollen, the smell is lovely. Not overpowering, but definitely something that deserves to be mentioned in a book :)
Melanie :)

Christy Lenzi said...

Hi Melanie--thanks for responding! My setting is in the Ozarks--Southern Missouri. I originally placed the time in Sept/Oct., but for various reasons, I need to change the timeline and hoped to have the cane at least shoulder high for the sake of events in my story. If that's impossible, I may need to rething things... I'll keep researching! I used to go to a sorghum molasses make every fall and loved the smells. Miss it!

Blog Archive