People pointing, fingerpainting the world, leaving me the silhouette of my life. And I'm filling in the negative space with positively everything.
~ Edie Brickell

About Me

My Photo
I write fiction for young adults and am represented by Erin Murphy of Erin Murphy Literary Agency. My debut novel, STONE FIELD, is a re-imaging of Wuthering Heights set during the Civil War. STONE FIELD is slated for publication in 2015 by Roaring Brook Press-Macmillan Publishers.

Pigs: FLY! Hell: FROZEN! Book: SOLD!


Everyone has certain memorable events that stick with them forever as milestones—some of the best things in life that have ever happened to them. This past week, I got to add one of those moments to my list. I’m still smiling. My remarkable agent, Erin Murphy, sold my novel.

MY NOVEL. SOLD. IT’S GOING TO BE PUBLISHED! A REAL BOOK.  REAL PEOPLE WILL SEE IT. AND HOLD IT. AND READ IT.

I wrote that in caps so I could look at it and feel the realness of it, because it still seems like one of my little daydreams. But apparently, it’s true. Lovely Kate Jacobs from Macmillan’s Roaring Brook Press says so. Remarkable Erin Murphy says so. Even Publisher’s Marketplace says so. If this is a dream, I don’t want to wake up.
Annie Dillard says in The Writing Life that it takes ten years to write a book. When I first read that, years ago, I had already written a couple novel manuscripts, but reading Dillard’s words, I recognized that those attempts were just part of the process of writing a book—I hadn’t actually got it quite right yet. Ten years?? The thought it might take me that long to truly write a book horrified me. My mantra became, “Please don’t let that be me, please don’t let that be me.” But as time went on and the ten year mark loomed closer, it flipped over in my mind and the words became a sort of encouragement. My mantra changed to, “that might be me! That might be me!”
I was working on my first novel in 2003. I believe it took every novel I’ve ever written since then to help me write this book, ten years later.  I would not recommend being a writer. It’s damned crazy. But sometimes, like right now, it can make you insanely happy.

From Publisher’s Marketplace:
Christy Lenzi's debut, STONE FIELD, a lyrical Wuthering Heights retelling set during the Civil War, to Katherine Jacobs at Roaring Brook Press, by Erin Murphy of Erin Murphy Literary Agency (world English).

18 comments:

Stephanie Theban said...

I am thrilled for you and cannot wait to read your novel. You worked long and hard for this and deserve every bit of it.

Kelly Fineman said...

SO excited for you!!!

Shannon Hitchcock said...

Yay, for you, and your book sounds wonderful. I adore historical fiction and WUTHERING HEIGHTS is one of my all-time favorite books. Congratulations!!

Pat Zietow Millerl said...

Many, many congratulation! Such good news.

Jill said...

YAAAYYY!!! A truly uplifting "overnight success" story.
Congrats!

Jay Cookingham said...

Congratulations!

Bob the Moore boy said...

That's my Christy!

Vijaya said...

A little rose shared this wonderful news over on the BBs. Congratulations!!!

gail said...

Was it ten years ago that I first saw your name on the BB? Really? Thanks for putting it into perspective. Time makes you look at time differently. Congrats!!! Can't wait to read your book.

Mirka Breen said...

Spectacular, Christy. Well worth chasing after the link form the BB. You made my day- I am *really* happy for you!

Becky Shillington said...

Congratulations, Lenzi! What an inspirational story. Thanks so much for sharing! = )

Leandra Wallace said...

Congratulations!!! Oh, ooh, the Civil War, sounds like my kinda read.

Evelyn said...

Thanks for posting your link on the BB. I enjoyed coming here and reading about your joy and your journey. Congratulations to you!!

Christy Lenzi said...

Hey everyone, thank you for coming by and celebrating with me! xo

Lindsay Smith said...

CONGRATULATIONS, Christi!!!! (And hey, fellow EMLA-er!) Kate is such an INCREDIBLE joy to work with. I'm dying to read Stone Field!

Christy Lenzi said...

Thanks, Lindsay! I've seen your book cover so many times when I was checking out Roaring Brook Press--your novel looks so interesting! Are you on FaceBook?

Urdu Novels said...

I was very pleased to find this site.I wanted to thank you for this great read I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.

http://www.storemystuff.com.au/ said...

Was it ten decades ago that I first saw your name on the BB? Really? Thanks for placing it into viewpoint. Time creates you look at period of time in a different way. Congrats!!! Can't delay to study your guide.

Blog Archive